Get ready to elevate your summer evenings and campfire gatherings with our delightful homemade marshmallows! There’s nothing quite like the sweet aroma of marshmallows toasting over a crackling fire, surrounded by friends and family, as the sun sets on a warm, breezy day. Our scrumptious recipe, featuring gum arabic, guarantees a delightful treat that’s sure to impress everyone around the campfire.
Not only will these marshmallows bring back cherished childhood memories, but they’ll also introduce you to a new world of flavor and texture, with a slightly firmer yet still delightful consistency. Whether you’re roasting them over an open flame, creating gooey s’mores, or simply enjoying them straight from the bag, these homemade marshmallows will be the star of your summer nights.
So, gather your loved ones, grab your roasting sticks, and prepare to be transported to a world of nostalgic bliss as you indulge in the simple pleasure of homemade marshmallows.
Best Marshmallows – With Gum Arabic (Acacia)
- In a bowl, mix gum arabic and 120g water. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to hydrate.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and 60g water. Heat over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Continue to cook the sugar mixture without stirring until it reaches 115-120°C (240-250°F) on a candy thermometer.
- While the sugar mixture is cooking, dissolve gelatin in 60g cold water in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and heat gently until the gelatin has fully dissolved.
- Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, combine the gum arabic mixture and dissolved gelatin. Begin to whip on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed as the mixture thickens.
- Carefully pour the hot sugar mixture into the whipping gum arabic and gelatin, continuing to whip on high speed. Add vanilla extract and whip until the mixture is light, fluffy, and holds its shape (about 10-15 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, mix together powdered sugar and cornstarch to create a dusting mixture.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and dust the bottom and sides with the powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the prepared dish, smoothing the surface with a spatula. Dust the top with more powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture.
- Let the marshmallows set at room temperature for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Once set, remove the marshmallows from the dish and cut them into desired shapes using a sharp knife or cookie cutters. Dust the cut edges with the remaining powdered sugar and cornstarch mixture to prevent sticking.