Get ready to wow your friends and family with these light, airy, and scrumptious Vegan Meringues made with the magic of methylcellulose! Not only are these delightful treats egg-free, but they also deliver the same melt-in-your-mouth experience as traditional meringues. Perfect for those with dietary restrictions or anyone looking for an innovative twist on a classic dessert, these vegan meringues showcase the wonders of modern cooking techniques. So, let’s get whisking and create a dessert that will leave everyone asking for more!
Best Vegan Meringues – use Methylcellulose
- Preheat your oven to 100°C (212°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the methylcellulose powder with the water, and mix well until fully dissolved. You can use an immersion blender or a whisk for this step.
- Add the cream of tartar or lemon juice to the methylcellulose mixture, and whisk until combined.
- Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the mixture on medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until it begins to thicken and form soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar to the mixture, a tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat on medium-high speed. Make sure to fully incorporate each addition of sugar before adding more.
- Once all the sugar has been added, continue to beat the mixture until it forms stiff peaks and appears glossy.
- If desired, gently fold in the vanilla extract using a spatula.
- Use a piping bag fitted with a star tip, or simply spoon the meringue mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, creating small mounds or desired shapes.
- Bake the meringues in the preheated oven for 1.5-2 hours, or until they are crisp and dry to the touch. Make sure not to open the oven door too often, as it may cause the meringues to crack.
- Turn off the oven and let the meringues cool completely inside the oven with the door slightly ajar.
- Once cooled, gently remove the meringues from the parchment paper and store them in an airtight container at room temperature.